Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rethinking the Rod

A few years ago, I read an article that truly made me rethink an age-old theory about sparing the rod. You can read it by clicking here.

The timing couldn't have been better when I found it. I had been battling the idea for a while, especially when there was a time when I spanked Caleb out of anger when he was about two. I began to think, if in Psalm 23 it says, "Thy rod and thy staff, they COMFORT me" how did the idea of the rod become hit = discipline?

The author of the article explains it much better than me! Take a moment to read it. :o)

**I am not saying that we have NEVER spanked Caleb since reading this article. Josh and I often discuss what a spankable offense is or would be. But I am not one who would see an unruly child who consistently is disobediant and think, "Boy, he needs a good spanking!" like I've heard people say. How would one good spanking fix a lifetime of inconsistent discipline? Anyway, just thought I'd post that article. I found it to be helpful.

1 comment:

Tina said...

That was a great article, how do you decide what a "spankable" offense would be? Just curious - because we are hitting a stage of a little rebellion and I have been thinking alot about types of discipline. We discuss language, hitting, etc. Things we have seen done and experiment with - usually if we talk about the action / word and explain that it is not appropriate (not necessarily with those words ;) ) Then the behavior stops. We use the corner now, ALOT some days and then not for two or three days.
If he doesn't want to do something and is throwing a fit (pj's teeth, etc - )we sit in the corner until we are ready to do those things) But also when we just don't listen, but I just don't know at what point it becomes a more serious offense. We are not there yet, but .......

Post a Comment