Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A year ago today...

April 8th was on a Tuesday last year. I was all excited about traveling to Dayton, OH with my mom so I could watch the WGI Championships with her. It was my sister's last year with the Missouri State winterguard before her age-out, so I just knew it would be a great experience to share with her.

But...I wasn't feeling that great on Monday. And to be blunt...I knew I had missed my period. I thought to myself, "Really, God? Now? Could it be?"

It was.

I took a home pregnancy test, and it came back positive. So on April 8th, I found out we would be having baby number 3! I wish I could say I was excited, but honestly, I was just dumbfounded. I remember crying. We had finally gotten all our finances in order after being introduced to Dave Ramsey. We were cutting back. We were paying off debt. We were on our way to financial peace! :o) Would another child veer us off track? And I feel a bit guilty saying it, but I had actually come to a place where I was very content with two kids. It took me this long to FINALLY adjust to being a stay-at-home mom. I finally had my act in order. My heart felt like it was maxed out in the "love for children" department.

But you know what...God knows what He's doing.

I fell in love with this baby boy when I first saw him. We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl. We kept the name a secret. I was so excited when I first got to call him Gabriel! I remember Dr. Cunningham asking me, "So, what's his name?" and I got to say it out loud to someone other than Josh for the first time!

And while there are still days when I think, "Wow, having two was sure easy!" Josh reminded me that I probably wouldn't know that if I still just had two! :o)

So I'm remembering this day. A day when I was worried about the future, but God has shown me so much about His timing through it all.

And I am blessed.

"Behold, children are a gift from the LORD..." Psalm 127:3

Oh...and by the way...the rest of the story about my trip to Dayton: I was sick and miserable the entire time, and tried to just play it off as some bug I must have had. I didn't want to take away from my sister's big week, so I just tried my best to pretend like I was ok and didn't reveal what I had just found out! We went to Starbucks several times on that trip, and I still can't smell coffee now without feeling a bit ill as I remember how I felt back then! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment