Sunday, May 2, 2010

Preschool Graduation

Even though I've only been a mother for (almost) six years, I already can see that having children gives a person a visual way to document years. I'm not sure I've ever felt time go by as quickly as I have since 2004 - when my first child was born. I see time in a different way. I can see a matter of months or years just by looking through a few pictures.

Like this one of Caleb, his first day of preschool in the fall of 2008.
















And then last Thursday, I took this one because it was his last day of preschool, April 29, 2010.
















Maybe it's because I'm his mom that I can see such a drastic difference in these two pictures, and it's almost enough to make me cry just seeing the change in him since his first day of preschool. He looks so different to me. In that first picture, I thought he looked like a "big boy" - now I look at him and compare the pictures, and I think he looks like such a little boy in the first one. I wish I could remind myself that he is still just a little boy. He's five...not twelve. And he'll be twelve soon enough.

This evening he had his preschool graduation. His buddy to walk in the door was Hunter, Ashley's son! They were cute, and I so wish this picture wasn't blurry. Darn camera settings (that I can't figure out).












And here is a sweet smile up on stage.













I love these moments. I'm doing my best to cherish them. The preschool director said something tonight that I will never forget. "Your children are on loan to you. They are from the Lord, and they belong to Him." You are so right, Miss Diane. Thank you for reminding me that I need to stay true to a scripture in 1 Samuel...a scripture I used on Caleb's dedication announcements back when he was just a baby:

"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." 1 Samuel 1:27, 28

Thank you, Solid Rock Christian Church, for having such a Christ-centered focus in your preschool. I'm looking forward to sending my next two kiddos as well!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful feelings in this post. You are on the right road. Just beginning, and a long way to go, but you are definitely starting off on the right foot. Yes, he is growing up fast. Enjoy.

Bld424 said...

Miss Dianne was my preschool teacher, too! She has really blessed a lot of families. My sisters and I wore the same little caps and gowns for our graduations. I remember it because I got two presents and a cake, and I was totally surprised by it! My grandfather Douglas gave me a special child's Bible and my parents gave me some brightly colored plastic heart shaped bracelets and necklace. I got to wear a frilly dress and run around the church afterwards. I havent' thought about that day in SO LONG.

Caroline said...

What a beautiful memeory and I was just looking at my daughter's beginning school pic and her spring one. The change and she is going to graduate from Kindergarten in a couple wks.
Have a great Monday !!
Caroline

kingstongirl said...

I found you through another blog but at this second my mind can't remember what one it was! Thanks for checking my blog out. I just love yours. I made up the meet me Monday's cause I have no talent when it comes to the not me mondays! :)

Jenilee said...

it is amazing how much they change in those preschool years! :) I see pictures of my oldest back a few years ago and tear up thinking about how much she has grown. Now I the baby is in preschool and my middle daughter is starting K. amazing. :)

Tiffany said...

Oh, what a beautiful post. Such a great reminder that childhood is fleeting, and that our children really are not our own. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for linking up to Momentous Monday!

Post a Comment