Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Coloring Progress!

I've mentioned before that Caleb's fine motor skills had been somewhat difficult for me to work on with him because he didn't have much interest in coloring, writing, drawing, etc.

But...at the end of May, when his best buddy moved away, I noticed that he suddenly took an interest in writing and drawing. Every day he asked me if he could draw a picture and send a letter to Alli. I encouraged him to do so, but I didn't let him mail all of them. Occasionally - usually once a week or every other week - I would let him put a stamp on an envelope and mail whatever he created that day.

Hope you didn't mind all those letters in your mailbox, Sarah C! :o)

I did not realize that what I thought was therapy for this sweet little boy who missed his friend was also helping him learn to write, draw, and color. He would always write his name on it. He always wrote Alli's name on it. And sometimes, he would write a word or two if I told him how to spell it.

Today, when I picked him up from preschool, he showed me the picture he colored. My mouth dropped open. I was so proud. He picked the "correct" colors for each character and each element of the picture. We have made progress!




















And while I know that there are children who are younger than him who can do the same (or better) I am working HARD on not comparing him to others. I struggled with that for a while, thinking that if other kids do something then he must learn how to do that, too! I have finally become a mother who rejoices in her son's accomplishments because they are HIS accomplishments, not because he "did better" than someone else.

Just this morning, he started reciting the AWANA theme verse...I admit, it made me smile!

2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

These are the kinds of days that I know God is reaffirming to me that I am doing what He asked of me. To do the best I can with the children He gave me. Being home with them is a blessing. And I am thankful for days like this. Some days are hard, but these days make it all worth it! :o)

And right now - in the background - I can hear Caleb singing, "His banner...over me...is love!"

2 comments:

Tina said...

Looks Good - :o)
I am proud of him too!

Ashley said...

Hunter came home singing the same song! :0)

Post a Comment