Friday, December 11, 2009

O Christmas Tree

There were Decembers in years past that I simply adored putting up my Christmas tree. I took great pride in precisely hanging each ornament, spacing them perfectly apart, and placing the garland around the tree in exact intervals. (Yeah, who's OCD now?) I loved the fact that I had so many bulbs, angles, snow flakes, etc. to hang on the branches. It was full of color and full of personality.

I bet you know where I'm going with this.

Since I've had children, it now drives me crazy to have my tree up each year. Constantly telling a small child not to touch the ever enticing Christmas tree is quite tiresome. I usually begin to feel guilty for getting on to them about it, because really, it's just so tempting for them and I'm sure they just think it's small toys that they're looking at.

I don't remember Caleb being too difficult. I also don't remember Sarah having to be told more than a few times to step away.

Gabriel, on the other hand, decided the Christmas tree was most certainly his own.














So for the first time, I have had to remove ornaments from the bottom half of the tree because it's just easier than having to chase a 1-year-old around who found a bright, shiny bulb to play with.

There have been several people who have told me to be sure and take a picture because it will make for a fun memory. I'm sure there will be a few because we'll take pictures the morning we unwrap gifts, but I am not so fond of the tree this year, so I'm not sure if I'll step back and take a full-length picture this year like I usually do.

Maybe next year will be better. But I'm not holding my breath.

4 comments:

Causey Fam said...

I use to be the same way..ornaments hung just so. Then the year came that Payton was almost 1 and we were getting ready to move (imagine that!) The tree went up with only lights that year. Then the next year he hung a couple and I did the rest. Eventually, I realized I needed to not be so particular with my tree. After all, it was so fun for them to enjoy. Now, I get out all the ornaments and they hang them (except the really old ones or breakable ones). I figure one of these days they will be in their own homes with all the ornaments that decorate our tree tonight (since most of ornaments actually belong to them) and I will be left to decorate it myself and it just won't be as special.

Causey Fam said...

So go ahead take a deep breath and take that full length picture each year! You'll see it change over time. The ornaments will get higher and more spaced out. It will be fun to line them all up in 20 years!!!

Nel said...

I so feel your pain this year Chrissy! You have seen a picture of mine... I let Libby do her thing this year :)

Mindy said...

I have to say..that picture is cute. hehe

A family that I babysit for keeps a gate around their tree. It looks kinda funny, but I guess it works.

Or maybe you could buy/make some safe and cheap ornaments (do they even make those?) and let the kids go for it! :)

Post a Comment