Sunday, August 30, 2009

Handwriting 101

It was somewhat difficult to get Caleb interested in coloring, drawing, and especially writing. I remember thinking before I had kids that my children would all want to sit down and have coloring time each day. They would want to draw nice pictures. And, of course, their handwriting would be perfect by the age of 5.

Not so much for my high-energy boy. Who wants to color or write when you can go outside and play in the dirt?

One day when Caleb came home from preschool last year, I went through his pack-back and pulled out his Scholastic book order. I always love looking through it even if I don't plan on buying anything. I always loved getting those books as a kid!

Then I saw it. Something I just had to have. It was a "Write and Wipe" board book, and I hoped that Caleb would find this to be a fun way to learn how to write his letters.














When it arrived, Caleb was instantly interested. I showed him each page and explained that he should trace the first letters and then try to write them on his own.

It has helped SO MUCH. For the longest time he would take it every where he went. He would show people his letters, even if we were at Wal-Mart. And while his handwriting still needs work, I would say for the most part, if I tell him how to spell something, he can do it. He recently wrote "Thank you" to some friends and mailed it to them. He also spelled both friends names on the paper. It looked great for a boy who was just not interested in writing a year ago!

So I would highly reccomend this type of book. The small size allows it to be taken anywhere! :o)

2 comments:

Nel said...

I will probably have to keep my eye out for one of those! Sounds like something that Libby would LOVE!

Anonymous said...

I found one in the $ spot in Target!

Post a Comment