Thursday, July 9, 2009

FYI: My Baby Float

I am proud to be thrifty, frugal, tight, insert your favorite adjective here that means doesn't want to spend money when I don't have to. I love hand-me-downs for my kids, yard sale deals, clearance racks, etc.

I also love being able to use the same thing more than once for my children - since I have three, I will use the same potty chair, high chair, swings, etc. for Gabriel as I did for the other two.

And such was the case with our "My Baby Float" that we used with Caleb and then with Sarah. Here is Sarah when she was about 10-months-old:















Both Caleb and Sarah were very calm when in the water. As you can see, she just sort of sat back and took in the view! Caleb was the same. He just enjoyed the scenery and had a nice time floating around.

So when we were going to swim with Gabriel this summer, I was excited to get out this "floaty thing" and have my third child enjoy the water just like the other two. His first trip to swim was at Splash Zone in Rolla, and his second trip was on the 4th of July at my aunt's pool.

Both times, however, he would kick his feet so much and shift his weight to the front of the device that I worried that he might flip himself out of it.

In my aunt's pool, I didn't get in, but I sat on the edge and put my feet in. Josh was playing in the pool with Caleb, and Sarah sat by me (not wanting to get in for some reason). Gabriel drifted away just a bit but still in hand's reach when it happened...his body completely went forward, and his face hit the water as he was about to fall into the pool altogether. I yelled for Josh not knowing if I would be able to grab for him without falling into the pool myself (which, of course, I would have done if necessary). We took him out of that particular one!

I say all of this because I know that we - all parents - are careful. But I also know that Josh and I didn't realize Gabriel could have flipped himself out of this floaty. I'm sure that if Sarah and I went inside and it was just Josh, Caleb, and Gabriel in the pool, Josh would have thought he could turn to play with Caleb while Gabriel floated. And I'm not sure if it's because it had been used with two other kids or if my other two just didn't do the same thing, but I don't feel safe using this floaty anymore, and I wanted you to be aware of it, too.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

When Chloe was 11 months she actually flipped the same floaty all the way over. She went face first into the pool. Luckily I was right there and caught her as she slipped from the "device," but I totally agree with you. This floaty is NOT safe for babies unless you are holding them.

Post a Comment