Sunday, July 26, 2009

We Arrived in Michigan!

If I could take a road trip with Josh every week, I would. I would drive for hours (well, HE would drive for hours) and all we would do is talk. We would laugh about the dumbest things. We would joke about the billboards we see. We would even laugh about the number/letter combination on exits.

That's what we just did.

Josh will be teaching a new math curriculum this fall. The textbook/curriculum headquarters (or whatever it's called) is located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, so sometime in the spring, he agreed to travel up there and learn the material. He would be the only one from his department going.

I didn't want him to go on his own. He didn't either.

So about a month ago I asked my mom to watch Caleb and Sarah. Since I'd still be nursing Gabriel, I knew I'd need to take him with us. We made the arrangements, packed up two big suitcases - one for Caleb and Sarah and one for me, Josh, and Gabriel, and were all ready for the week.

It was an eight hour trip. Gabriel did pretty good (all but one hour where he was fussy and I sat beside him in the middle of the van). We only stopped twice, and those two stops were basically back to back.

The funny parts probably don't seem as funny when they are read by someone else, but as goofy as we were being, they WERE funny. So I'll share a few of them with you.

First of all, I did not know that Illinois was full of corn. CORN...CORN...CORN! That is all I saw on Interstate 55 from the time we left Missouri until we arrived in Indiana. Not the most exciting drive! In fact, if I was judging what the population of Illinois might be by Interstate 55, I'd say it was about 10! :o) So I said something about all the corn, and Josh said...

"Aww...SHUCKS!"

I busted out laughing. I seriously laughed about that every time I thought about it throughout the trip.

Then eventually I saw exit 34B. Again, I laughed so hard. I was pretty slap happy by this point. I was remembering when my bra size was 34B (pre-babies). Then I joked with Josh that maybe we'd see a 44D? We never did.

Every time Josh would see another Missouri license plate, he would get all excited and give the Missouri gangsta sign (which he made up, of course) which was three fingers held to make an M. I told him he shouldn't embarrass me in front of people we'd never see again! :o)

When we got to Michigan, I said, "We are from Missouri so we are Missourians. If they are from Michigan, are the Michiganians?"

We both laughed. Josh came up with other titles, but now I can't remember! I think one of them was Michiganites.

So I'm here til Friday. Josh will be in class from 8:00 to 4:00. I have a GPS so I might venture out and see what I can find.

And then we'll have another road trip to get home. Who knows what goofy things we'll say next time.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Sounds like the perfect road trip too me.

Causey Fam said...

I love road trips--lots of time to talk (and laugh) ;o)

Post a Comment