Monday, November 9, 2009

The Fruit of the Spirit (Minus One)

My sweet friend and neighbor, Kim, walked over to my fence yesterday while I was outside watching my kids play, and we struck up a conversation. I always enjoy talking with her. We discussed Weight Watchers a little bit, and I could really feel myself getting excited about the idea of having someone to go to meetings with. Maybe...just maybe this is what I need to get back on track?

As I was praying last night, I began to ask God, "Will I really stick to this? Should I invest money into something if I'm just going to continue my poor eating habits? Why can't I keep from eating that stupid stuff?" Yes, I really do talk to God like this.

Amazingly, a scripture came to mind. I really can't believe it. These words have been repeating over and over in my head ever since I asked Him, "Why can't I keep from eating that stupid stuff?"

"...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. " Galatians 5:22&23

Self-control?

Have I somehow conveniently left off one of the "Fruits of the Spirit" in my life? How could I have overlooked this? I can't believe I've been lacking such an important part of this scripture.

Really, I've heard that passage dozens of times. Haven't you? I've read devotions on it, heard sermons on it, and listened to Christian radio segments on it. Wow. I've heard people talk about the difficulties of having joy or patience. Or the difficulties of having gentleness in certain circumstances.

I've never thought about self-control.

For some, the concept of self-control might be evident in their shopping habits. Maybe they buy too many pairs of shoes. Maybe self-control is difficult in the words someone uses; they can't tame their tongue.

For me, it's food.

So I will pray that this fruit of the spirit will be evident in my life. I pray that this revelation will be a testimony for me, and that in the months to follow, I will be able to share how self-control, through God's grace and strength, has allowed me to gain a foothold on something that has been so difficult for me.

First WW meeting is tomorrow.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Chrissy-I am glad that I met you at the fence. I really enjoyed our conversation, it really inspired me as well. What a verse I need to memorize that one. I am super excited that you are going. See you there!

SonjaMichelle said...

1st - Thanks for the shoe comment! Geez! JK! I know that is my weakness...I am trying to get better : )

2nd - You will LOVE the WW meetings. I hope you have people there like mom and I did that summer. It really does make a differece going to them. Earning your lil stars and people celebrating with you. Its AWESOME!

Post a Comment