Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Me" Time

Give thanks #12

I realized something last night...something I already knew but something that was magnified after a rough couple days.

I really need some "me" time each evening. Josh completely understands this. In fact, I was really having a difficult day yesterday - a day full of Gabriel crying and wanting to be held every second, which just happened to follow a night of no sleep for me because he wanted me to hold him all night. Those days push me to the limit. I have little patience with Caleb and Sarah, and I also become so irritated with Gabriel being glued to my hip that I want to just go to my room and lock the door.

This is not an option, however.

So when Josh got home, he said, "Why don't you go grocery shopping by yourself. Take as long as you need." Grocery shopping alone is like a mini vacation to be honest.

And, by the way, I'm sorry if I ever sound like I'm not grateful to stay home with my kiddos. I don't mean to. It's probably like someone complaining about their job when they should be thankful that they have a job. I'm just hoping other moms understand.

I left. I shopped. I got what we needed for two weeks of meals. I purchased the movie UP. Complete impulse buy, but it was worth it.

When I walked into the house, I immediately picked up Gabriel and he giggled at me. So I smiled at him. Josh helped bring in all the groceries, and I played with my little guy in his room for a while. We both seemed to have enjoyed the little break, and Josh said, "You look like a different person right now."

I was.

I am thankful for "me" time each evening. Sometime it's grocery shopping. Sometimes it's a walk around the neighborhood. Whatever it is, I just need to have some quiet away from what is sometimes a stressful day of being a domestic engineer.

4 comments:

Nel said...

Me time is very important! You are in no way a bad mom - sometimes we just need some space. Some time to recharge!

Bld424 said...

Before I had a kid who needed me so much, I would have laughed at you for saying grocery shopping alone was a mini vacation. Now I agree! Its time to take a time out and space out while you look at a hundred different types of salad dressings. I bet you had me time before kids, too, before marriage... just time to relax. I think most people need time to recharge, not just moms of needy babies.

SonjaMichelle said...

I am the exact same way! Even thought I LOVE being around people every day...which is one reason why I love teaching...I need some quite alone time.

So, every day after school I go home and for about an hour I just have "me" time. That usually involves watching an episode of Buffy or Grey's Anatomy or maybe 2 episodes of Friends on DVD. I might even pop some popcorn on the stove.

I usually dont answer my phone and Scott knows not to really talk to me. Phoebe cuddles up next to me on the couch and for now Leo stays in his cage.

"Me" time is AWESOME!!!

Jess said...

I completely understand the me time. One day last week I informed Ross that I needed an hour all to myself. I went to town and paid the phone bill, went to the Auto Parts store, bank, license office, county collectors, post office and then picked up some burgers from Bouse's. That hour all by myself was all I needed to feel refreshed and ready for my kids again.

Post a Comment