Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Children (currently) Get Along (for the most part)

Give thanks #14

Before I had children, I'm not sure if I gave much thought as to how close together we should have them. I'm pretty sure I knew I wanted them closer than the distance between me and my sister (six years), but other than that, I wasn't really into trying to "plan" it a certain way.

I'm glad God figured it out for me.

That's not to say that having children ages 5, 3, and almost 1 doesn't drive me crazy sometimes, but for the most part I can see the benefits - huge benefits - to having them close together.

I love seeing Caleb and Sarah play together. It's really sweet. Yes, there are times when Caleb irritates her. And there are times when Sarah takes something from Caleb. But...generally speaking...they really love each other and love playing together. They even annoy me together. They'll start saying lines from a movie together, OVER AND OVER, and I'll tell them to stop. They'll giggle and start saying it quietly to each other.

Yesterday I sent them outside, and instead of playing in the yard, they played on the deck. Caleb had his Batman Cave, Sarah had a doll house.










































Sarah took her My Little Pony over to his cave, Caleb took his "bad guys" to her doll house. It was so funny. He even had her Barbie's on top of the Batman cave once (as shown above). They did this for over an hour. And I was able to clean the kitchen while they did this (and Gabriel napped). It was so nice. Yes, I had the deck door open the entire time so I could hear and see them!

And even though Gabriel is still pretty small, they often try to include him in what they're doing.













I used to wonder if this would last. Maybe when they get older they won't be so close? I'm starting to realize how much of a bond they are developing right now, and I just can't imagine that bond being broken. I believe they will always look after each other. I think they will be great friends growing up. Sure, they might irritate each other from time to time...but I'm confident that the time they are spending together now is forming a foundation of closeness that will not be broken.

I am thankful for having my children close together. And I am thankful that they are developing the bond that will carry them throughout their lives.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I feel the same way you do about having them closer together rather than farther. Unfortunately, Ross wants to wait 5 years before we have our third. I just told him that means we have to have 4 so we can have another 2 close together like the girls are now.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I notice that you have a pray for Stellan button. I am thrilled to report that Stellan has received his miracle -- totally cured. I don't know the family, but I have followed the story and have held Stellan on my prayer list. See the overwhelmed, stunned reaction of his grateful parents and learn about the miracle at the parents' blog: http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2009/11/miracle.html#disqus_thread.

Post a Comment